Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

So You Want to Get Married hu?

Gary Collins writes and excellent book called 'Christian Counseling." It deals with a variety of issues that christians face on this road to glory. One of the issues he address is the issue of "Choosing a mate." I want to point out a few practical points that he makes on this subject, but before I get there I want to make a few personal comments from my own experiences.

When I met my wife I was not in the market or the mood for a woman or a wife, but God saw different. You see I had been burn, bruised, battered and bloodied by women. I was content being single. I did not believe I would ever meet the woman God had for me. Notice I said "the woman God had for me." I did not have any idea what I was doing when I first married, I was going by the banging body, and not the beating heart.Even though people (momma) told me she was not the right one, I was hell bent on having her.

You the time to instruct someone about choosing a mate is before they sell their heart. Because no matter how mean he/she is, once you have given your heart, once you have fallen in love...it's over for your heart. You do know the bible says love covers a mulitude of sins right? When I let God do the choosing for me. I AM BLESSED BEYOND MEASURE!!!!!

So if you are seeking God for a help mate, I pray that the following guide lines help you. 1) Don't choose a mate with divorce in mind. We live in a time where marriages are disposable. Many christians go into marriage with the idea that if it don't work, no harm no foul. 2) People marry for various reasons (ex.. security, financial,loneliness, etc..). Why do you want to get married? 3) Many choose a mate for socail value....What do you mean preacher?

Picture yourself going to buy a car, you only have $10,000 to work with, so you only shop in the $10,000 and under lane. Christians do the same in choosing a mate, we shop for someone that is within our price range be it education, economics or race. I am sure you can add more. Finally, a good choice doesn't always mean a good marriage, but it's a start. Let me quit...Still praying.

No comments: